With support from people like you, in 2022 we fought back against the growing spread of hate and extremism that jeopardizes marginalized communities and democracies everywhere. With you on our side, in 2022, we:
- Protected democracy: Advised and provided testimony to the January 6 Select Committee to support their efforts to uncover the roles of extremists and powerful people in the insurrection. Tracked far-right national and battleground states election deniers and their ties to extremists in the lead up to the midterms. Brought important truths to light about voter fears and advocated to secretaries of states to help keep polling places safe.
- Combated global hate and extremism: Published reports on Ireland and Australia as part of our work to document the transnational nature of extremism and educate stakeholders including political leaders, tech companies, media, and the general public about the growing threat of far-right extremist and hate groups and actors. These reports are part of a series of country extremism reports that we’ll be expanding in the upcoming months.
- Deplatformed anti-LGBTQ+ conversion therapy: After we published two reports on our deep research profiling conversion therapy providers around the world and showing the extent to which conversion therapy disinformation is available online, a number of tech companies took action to rid their platforms of some of the most prominent organizations that push this harmful practice.
- Strengthened the international anti-hate movement: We launched and continue to lead the Global Alliance Against Digital Hate and Extremism, which has a network of more than 70 organizations from across the globe. This alliance mobilizes collective action for a safe, fair, and just online experience for humans everywhere, especially in underrepresented regions of the world.
- Called out politicians spreading the racist, antisemitic Great Replacement conspiracy theory and the tech companies that allow it to breed on their platforms: Far-right politicians and white supremacists around the world spread this racist lie, often online, where it has inspired mass violence in Buffalo, NY, Pittsburgh, PA, and several more shootings around the world. We’re holding the superspreaders and the tech companies accountable.
As we look at the progress we made in 2022, we know that hard work lies ahead in 2023. We’re ending the year with a renewed conviction that together we can beat back far-right extremists and haters and a renewed determination to be even bolder and more innovative in 2023. Thank you to all who support our work.